Voting

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Barak the Rock Star

Jennie Matthews and I headed to the Obama rally today, even though we heard there were already 1,000 people in line at 10am (it started at 5:15) and the convocation center at JMU only holds around 7,000 or so. The last time a presidential candidate visited Harrisonburg was back when Lincoln was running for president!
It was only about 40 with the wind blowing in gusts as well! Snow flakes were blowing around, but heck, why not brave the weather- and the crowd-

and see what we could see?
I had to pick Alexander up from school early, drop the kids off at my parents, and then head in to Harrisonburg. We parked over near the hospital and walked to the Convo Center. The line was CRAZY long! We pretty much knew we wouldn't get in but figured they would do something for all of us anyway. There were a couple of picketers

and there was a little musical group around us in line playing some tunes for us to listen to.
Some of the excitement consisted of the police with their dogs sniffing at suspicious packages and areas, people trying to cut in line and those that got mad about it, the wonderment of where the line was taking us and what we were supposed to be doing esp when people started screaming and running toward the soccer field at one point (an Obama look-alike was spotted).
Well, we didnt get in and it looked to be at least 1,000 people who didnt as well.


We decided to go around the other side of the building where they had the road blocked off and the cops were walking around. They backed up a Chevy SUV to one of the doors and we assumed this was where Obama was exiting
so we kinda hung around there for a while. Then we went back to other other doors facing the soccer field and heard Obama speak out of a huge speaker. Towards what we thought was the end, we went back around to the front to see if we could catch a glimpse of him (he is a rock star ya know) getting into his vehicle. The Secret Service agents started showing up and we knew the time was getting close. We were right in front getting smushed into the white line that we couldn't cross! Poor Jenny thought she was going to be severed in half! I knew it would be quick but it just seemed too fast-

there were a lot of people surrounding the vehicle and the passenger side back door was being held open and someone shielding him as he got in. I saw it and knew it was him as he ducked into the car. My picture is a little blurry as the people were pushing me from behind. As they slowly drove by he waved at us so at least we felt acknowledged for suffering through the cold and wind just to hear him speak and share a glimpse of him!
One thing that Jenny pointed out was all of the trash that was left behind by the crowd. How ironic that people who supposedly care about the environment would litter so much! I should have taken a picture of this!
There were a lot of people selling pins and t shirts, hats, bumper stickers, etc. I bought a pin for Alexander who is very knowledgeable about the election. I havent given it to him yet but I really think he will like it.
Overall, I am pretty disappointed that we didnt get in to see him speak (Gov Webb was there as well) but I am glad that we went. It was a good experience and I can say that at least I tried my best to see him at this very historic event!

4 comments:

Jen said...

It was fun, but I have to make a correction, Tim Caine is the Gov. He was supposed to be there. Jim Webb is a Senator. I know you this. Your properly still frozen like I am. I still had fun, and I survived the walk, thanks for being a friend, that I don't have to argue my political views with! Any time you want to do this again let me know, and I will get my camping gear out this time. Also you forgot to mention the purses in the trees, trash like socks on the ground, and the funny cop you thought was cute. Oh la,la, la!

Unknown said...

I am laughing so hard I am crying right now! Too funny I got the Govs name wrong. Geez- I have a lot in common with Sarah Palin! Yes, I should have mentioned all that other funny stuff! better yet, I should have taken pictures of it!
Thanks for coming with me!

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Even my students today mentioned how messy the place was... even messier than a basketball game. The event was not a JMU event... JMU leases out the convo center for all kinds of non-JMU-related stuff. Usually, the leasees leave it pretty clean. But this time, it appeared to be trashed. I don't know that a McCain rally would have been any different. BTW, the university told us that more JMU students than ever before have registered to vote, and that the city was not prepared to handle such a large number of voters in the local precincts, and they were predicted lines of up to 2 hours at the polls for the student precincts. So I'm cancelling my classes next Tuesday. I have an 8 am class and a 9:30 class and a 3-hour class in the afternoon. I want students to vote, and I don't want them leaving their place in line just to come hear me lecture about accounting. I know of a couple of other profs doing the same. Voting is important.

Shawna said...

So that's where you were yesterday! I thought about you guys and wondered if you would go. I am glad that you went. My brother couldn't believe that he was here. You need to drink a lot of hot chocolate to warm up after the week you have had!