Voting

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Homeschooling

For a while now I have thought about the option of homeschooling. I have a variety of reasons including not wanting to adhere to the typical CDC vaccine schedule required by Virginia schools, not truly a believer in the SOL geared, no child left behind education obtained by US students these days (although I wont have to worry about the SOLs for a few years), being able to teach the same material in less time and having more time for extra-curriculars, can't afford private school for 3 kids, wanting to teach my kids a variety of subjects not offered in public school, worries about them being bored, and just wanting my child home with me.

I think the biggest thing that is pulling me in this direction is the curriculum. No languages are taught until the children are much older. Age 5 (or before) is the perfect age to begin a language. I am not a believer in homework at such an early age, but they have it, believe it or not! After 8 hours in a school, one would think a young child would be set free to enjoy the rest of the day! Yet, after school they have homework, swimming lessons, soccer practice, piano lessons, etc. Poor kids dont have time to be kids!

I feel some of the drawbacks for homeschooling my kids is the dedication and time it takes, the organization and adhering to schedules, not being sure about the home school cooperative, not feeling adequate to meet my child's needs academically (esp as he gets older and we need the cooperative even more), losing out on all that free ME TIME, questionable social isolation ("all home school kids are geeks" [which is okay with me!]), etc.

With the first-born I think every mother worries, worries, worries whether she is doing the right thing for this precious first child. Then the rest of the children sort of follow suit. We are sending Alexander to Kindergarten this year. We'll see how it goes. I definitely plan to be very involved. He may totally thrive in that atmosphere. He definitely loved preschool after the first year. I hope it is exciting and challenging for him. We'll just have to play it by ear! At least it's good to have options.

I know most people have pretty strong opinions about this sort of thing. I would love it if you would share yours!

7 comments:

Shawna said...

I think you just have to do what you think is best for your kids. No one knows them like you. I know what you mean about your drawbacks. I think homeschooling is great, but I don't know if I am disciplined enough to give them what they need. Plus, Grace would be very mad at me if she couldn't use her new Hannah Montana backpack! LOL!

dubby said...

My kids have had a combination of home schooling and public and private schools, for the reasons you mentioned as well as spending the time in Belgium.

I think Kindergarten is a very important year in school. The children really do a lot of socialization and the things like caring for others, standing in lines, taking turns, playing house, following a schedule, etc. are great for them. The teachers are always kind and patient.

I SO AGREE on the homework and SOL's. Ugh. Then the new politically correct stuff. I would ask the teacher today if she is required by law to read "Sarah has two mommies" or teach things contrary to your religion.

I did find the other home schooling groups to have a lot of strange people in them. Some normal ones, but as they get older, I put mine in public school band and other activities.

The private schools are funny because they teach a lot about how evil public schools are. In fact, they were incredibly intolerant. Be sure to talk to Dianna about it.

When I pulled Allen out in fourth grade because of his ADHD, I would give him a stack of work to finish each day and then the day off after he finished it. He was wonderful, buckled down and did it, and it went great. NONE of the others were so easy! They always got distracted and were tough to keep on task.

Each kid is different. Each year is different. You are the parents and God put you there to do what is right for them and knew you would make good decisions. They are great kids. I'm sure you will do the right things by them.

Dianna said...

They've basically said it all. You know your own child the best, and both ways can go well if you do it right, which I'm sure you can (although public middle school is the worst in my opinion). My only suggestions would be...

If the child is in public school, be sure to watch carefully and be very involved and discuss right/wrong with the child constantly making sure he/she knows what's acceptable behavior vs. not.

If the child is homeschooled, be very sure to get him/her enough social time with other kids his/her age. That's one thing I think I missed too much out on. Not enough social time with others my own age.

Also keep in mind different public schools can also be very different. There are some terrible elementary schools, although I was lucky enough to have a wonderful one. It really just depends on too much for there to be one right way to do it.

Good luck, and you're a great mom. I know whatever you choose will work out fine! :)

Jen said...

Ditto on what Debbie said! I personally can't stand dealing with homework, especially when they have been in school all day.
I wouldn't want my kids to miss out on the experience of being in school, the field trips, the school sports events, the assemblies, the dances, class parties, and making friends. But I think homeschooled kids do have a educational advantage, as long as the parent is able to effectively teach them and they can do the work without getting away with being lazy or distracted. I would worry about my kids growing up anti-social, and unable to deal with time and structure in a working enviroment. But I am sure you would have a set time for these things, right?
I can tell you from first hand experience, teachers do not like the SOLs and No Child Left Behind Act, in which Pres. Bush and his dear wife meant to help out, by measuring how effective schools are teaching. It really stresses them out! And it seems like that is all what they care about, is passing these tests, the whole second half of the school year. I even knew a teacher who was fired for his class not testing well during the pre-tests, but that's another story.....

SumGreater said...

Hi there. Obviously, I've got strong feelings about homeschooling, too, since I'm doing it. =) All your concerns are totally valid...except the homeschool geek thing. That one always cracks me up. Honestly, kids are mostly like their parents. Weird parents have weird kids. And homeschoolers don't have a monopoly on weird kids. I remember public school. You're cool. Your kids will be cool.

There are so many good reasons to keep your kid at home, and honestly, it's LOADS easier than most people think. We never work more than 3 hours a day. But what it boils down to is what's best for your kid. I tell people a variety of reasons for why we do it, but the most basic one is that it's what we feel like God wants us to do right now. If we ever feel otherwise, the kids will go to school and we'll just do our best to mitigate some of the negative consequences of school--which is what we already do with homeschool--try to counteract some of the drawbacks.

I have some great books to give you a broader view of homeschooling if you want to borrow them. And have you checked the library? The number of homeschooling books there is staggering. You're a smart, loving, capable woman. You'll know what's best and be able to do whatever it is.

SumGreater said...

By the way. I'm tagging you from my blog. It's www.sumgreater.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for everyone's comments! I feel a little more enlightened! I felt sick trying to buy all of Alexander's school supplies last weekend. :( We'll see how this year goes! I agree that Kindergarten is important but he has already been to 3 years of preschool so knows how to stand in line, take turns, etc. Do they still teach that in K? I was told my child HAD to go to preschool because kindergarten was more like first grade these days. What happens to the kids that dont go to preschool? Now I am just thinking aloud. Anyway, thanks for everyone's comments!