Voting

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Church and Politics

I realize that as the election winds up this week, it could get really ugly. I have already seen some REALLY ugly commercials the McCain campaign has put out. I am sure there are some from the Obama campain-I just havent seen them. There were a couple of things that bothered me recently.
Today in Fast and Testimony meeting someone stood up and said we should all realize that one of our presidential candidates received over a million dollars in contributions from overseas. I wonder which one he was talking about? I looked it up on Snopes.com. I wish people would get their facts straight before, well, I dont know how to say this nicely, but maybe I shouldnt say anything.
Anyway, I am also a little concerned about this new email circulating about why Sarah Palin would make a great Vice President. For starters, she is a woman (whoa- maybe I should run) and she doesnt believe in killing babies (another point for me but none of our candidates support abortion so that's really not that unique). She likes to hunt and she has a pregnant teenage daughter. She fired someone for divorcing her sister which was deemed an unduly use of power in office and she had a baby with Downs Syndrome.
I read through this whole thing and I didnt see one reason why she should be vice president of the United States over my next door neighbor! Where is the law degree (yes, it helps when you are dealing with the law), where are the great ideas for fixing our ecomony, establishing better foreign policy and providing better healthcare?? Yes, she has been governor of Alaska for 2 years. I think she likes the attack. She is going to support Israeli aggression towards Palestinians and say it's God's will. McCain is a little less as aggressive but she likes to say she has talked him into things, so maybe she'll try her best on this issue.
Why is she always attacking her opponents? Because she doesnt know what else to say? And to actually think of running for president? Let's vote for the issues and not gender. Because she talks about God every other sentence doesn't mean she is going to be the best for the country or even do God's will. McCain has admitted he doesnt even have a testimony of God and/or Jesus Christ. I still think McCain would have been so much better to have picked Mitt.
So getting back to the FAT meeting, our wonderful Branch President stood up and reminded us that the Church does not endorse either candidate or party and that we are to educate ourselves and pray about these things. Then, once elected we need to support whoever our leaders are and pray for them that they will do their best for our country. But, of course this is also not the reason we go to church. President Jensen is da bomb!
And my last comment here is just that. No matter who our President becomes, we should give them our support and do what we can do to make our country better.

4 comments:

Jen said...

You go girlfriend! I totally agree with you. Sorry I missed the whole, election speech that you know who gave. I am trying to get better to be ably to work the polls. Though you know stance, I am able to be completely non-partisan for that day, and I would definitely be so, if I was a leader or teacher in church or school.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I don't waste time anymore checking out the "facts" that come certain, ahem, parties... it's not worth my time to even check anymore. If this person told me the sun was going to come up tomorrow, I'd bet money it wouldn't, without even checking it out. You should thank your lucky stars you weren't in HP today! Sometimes I just absolutely marvel at the total lack of ... well, I'll just stop here.

dubby said...

Although we disagree on who to vote for, I am peacefully assured that our nation could make it through either presidency and, indeed, even Palin's, because it is a great nation and divinely set up.

I heard priesthood got way out of hand, almost to the point of a fistfight. Fortunately not a word was said in Primary and I appreciated that, even in the middle hour when no kids were there.

I know we will both be glad when the election is over.

Mother 25 - 8 said...

Hi Lori, found you via Sara Lagos' blog. I agree w/you. He should've picked Romney ~ though I wonder how the media would've torn into him for Mormonism. Oh well. Can't believe the ever powerful USA offers McCain and Obama as our presidents. I'm basically voting for Palin and just hoping that she's being truthful. Can't trust any of 'em.

And would've LOVED to have been a fly on the wall at "dubbys" priesthood class. That's almost funny!